-->

Friday, March 12, 2010

What It Takes


As with any job, selling vintage has its ups and downs. I love what I do, and I do what I love, BUT being self employed is tough. It takes discipline, self control, family support, tons of decision making and LOTS of time.

After I go to big estate sale or score from another great source I am completely energized and motivated. I get pictures taken.......then edit........then wait for a time to list.......and by then (especially in this dumpy dreary weather) I feel lethargic towards my business.

This year I've told myself I am going to up my business to the next level AND be true to my family. It is true in all accounts if you don't take care of yourself you can not take care of anyone or anything else. Why else do you think when in an airplane you are supposed to put your own airmask on first?? Yes, I am comparing being self employed to an emergency air landing.

So far this year to meet my goals I have put my 2 yr old in daycare twice a week. Not without guilt (after all I am a stay at home mom, no wait I AM A WORK AT HOME MOM), but the poor guy it just going stir crazy and driving me mad in the meantime! He is a very active child-climbing on me or any piece of furniture box, anything that he may be able to jump of off, flip over or slam dunk on.


I have a hard time seeing myself as a work at home mom, I'm not sure why. I left work to stay at home, but then I found my passion and a place to pursue it, so I work, and I work hard.

As stating in an earlier post I finally redesigned and printed my new business cards.

I purchased a booth rental in an antique shop.

I tried to set a schedule for everything I need to get done during the week-does it get done? No, but the schedule has been written!

So I guess my biggest struggle is balance, as always, but also acknowledging myself and giving myself the credit I deserve. In 2 years I have had 2 children and grown an online store that made a decent part time income last year. I have been featured in an international magazine. I have been hired by a famous international company to source vintage for them. I have had a website that gets over 1 MILLION hits a month ask to feature me (my store) on their website (more on that later). I am a mom. I am a wife. I am and entrepreneur. I am me. I am DaisyToad's Vintage. (Insert Stuart Smalley)

I am Me with no Apologies by chloeandsophiasmom or Artist Lisa Ferrante

So I will rephrase what it takes to be an online vintage seller (or artist-not without its own set of struggles)

It takes discipline, self control, family support, tons of decision making, LOTS of time, self confidence and an incredibly HUGE set of cajones (balls)
*side note to sister*those things hanging off the rats bottom.

Vintage Croquet Balls by FrenchByDesign

3 comments:

art deco dame said...

Yes,its DEFINITELY hard to find a balance for it all.I still struggle with finding a balance.I love my etsy shop and wish I had more time for it but of course I love my kids too and want to spend as much time with them.Normally this ends with me sleeping as little as possible and depending on lots of coffee,haha!

Rebecca - iceblueberries said...

Just wanted to let you know I totally get where you are coming from. Right now I'm a stay-at-home mom with 2 very young kids. Although I'm trying to get my shop moving along, it is nearly impossible to get any work done with the little ones scurrying about! Next year, they'll both be in school part time, so hopefully, I can get myself going. By then, I'll have aquired quite a bit of inventory. ha ha!

Connie In Michigan said...

I wish I could say it gets easier as the kids get older.. I will still drop everything if my 23 year old (my youngest) says Mom lets go... Anywhere! With a handicapped daughter that I will be a stay at home mom for forever and do so happily it isn't easy either. If any of my daughters say Mom can you help, make, do anything I am there . They will always come first. My goals were to have an etsy store to help pay for more fabric, but as my husband wants to retire more and more urgently I have expanded the goals to make that possible sooner rather than later. Its all possible with hard work and taking the time to enjoy yourself.